Would You Be a Good Umpire?
Are you considering becoming an umpire? Take this 20 question self-assessment quiz, keeping track of how many YES answers you give.
- Do you have a positive attitude?
- Do you have the ability to stay patient and calm in stressful situations?
- Are you able to communicate well with other people, in an open and concise manner?
- Are you confident in taking charge or directing others when needed?
- Do you like to practice and work on developing skills to improve in things you do?
- Do you always try to be polite to others, even when it is difficult?
- Do you have a basic understanding of the game of baseball?
- Do you like learning and trying new things?
- Do you remember detailed information (such as rules)?
- Do you consider yourself athletic?
- Are you willing to hustle and move as quickly as your physical skills allow?
- Do you have good vision (naturally or with correction)?
- Are you able to concentrate and stay focussed during periods of inactivity?
- Do you take pride in your appearance?
- Have you every played baseball?
- Have you ever played another team sport?
- Have you ever officiated another sport?
- Will you be able to put aside any past loyalties when you step on a field to umpire a game?
- Will you decline any assignment to umpire if you have any reason to care who wins the game?
- Do you have the ability to "forgive and forget" quickly from past incidents?
If you had 15 or more YES answers, you are likely well-suited to be a baseball umpire. We would love to help you get started. Click here to see a list of Provincial Umpire Supervisors and reach out to the Supervisor in your province, who can put you in touch with umpire leaders in your community.
And remember, you didn't have to answer YES to all the questions. With hard work, good training, and perseverance, you can develop all the skills needed to be a great umpire.